Monday, July 17, 2017
- Called to Order at 6:32pm by President Steve Schulz, Attendance was recorded. Present were: Pastor John Holt, Steve Schulz, Kara Heinemann, Mollee Tscholl, Belinda Krysan, Joyce Fredin, Karen Szymanowski, Deb Hanson, Jo Hanson, Bonnie Trampel, Pastor Sean Forde, Dean Jensen, Jens Levisen and Kristin Larson. Absent were Ann Hareid and Craig Ludtke. Quorum & Adoption of Agenda as printed by Jo Hanson and seconded by Bonnie Trampel. Approved.
- Devotions & Prayer— Dean Jensen shared through means Lectio Divina (meditation) using Ephesians 2:8. Being saved is a gift. “Watch and Encourage”
- Open Forum – none.
- Secretary’s Report
- Motion for approval of Council meeting minutes from June 19, 2017 by Dean Jensen and seconded by Deb Hanson. Approved.
- Treasurer’s Report – Kara for Craig
- Kara Heinemann reviewed in Craig’s absence. Also covered the Stained Glass Window Summary and Choral Scholars Fund. Motion to approve the June 2017 Financial Reports by Karen Szymanowski and seconded by Joyce Fredin. Approved.
- Motion for Approval of General Fund checks numbered 18660 through 18746 for June Bills in the amount of $31,413.68 and Net Payroll in the amount of $28,128.52. Checks numbered 1715 through 1719 from the Endowment Checking in the amount of $14,334.78. Checks numbered 2149 through 2155 from the Designated Checking in the amount of $17,660.52 by Jens Levisen and seconded by Dean Jensen. Approved.
- Church Administrator’s Report – Kara
- 2017 Council Retreat Plan and Date will be September 30 from 9am – 3pm at the Czech Inn and a Powerpoint will be used.
- Finance Committee Members are needed from each commission. Discussion on the makeup of the Finance meeting. Dates will be emailed to Commission chairs.
- Sunday morning treats. If you don’t signup to serve, then no treats. It’s up to everyone in the congregation to help support. Kara will share in the bulletin.
- 2017 Endowment Information/Report: $69,649.89 received. $35,000 is unrestricted.
- Motion to approve New Members: Audrey Sorenson, Ron & Brittany Ericksmoen- Ethan, Kolby, Tucker, Labrea, Mary Ellen Johnson, Latisha Thomas, Jeffrey & Angela Hutchins by Jens Levisen and seconded by Mollee Tscholl. Approved
- Haiti Trip Update: As of current, 15 people are interested. A meeting will be announced soon.
- Pastors’ Report
- Pastor Sean shared some of his new book information. He started writing on May 17. After this summer, he will complete the 7th The 6-week summer emphasis will be on the book, First Summer by Rev. Dr. Sean Forde.
- Pre-planning for Legacy Seminars this fall: Pastor Sean is working on putting together a Seminar to discuss adding First Lutheran Church in their wills. Pre-planning for Rally Sunday and FLC Centennial Campaign: Cookbook in process. On Rally Sunday, we would like to share a long range plan for the Centennial Celebration – 100 years! Bookstore-momentos/postcards. Working on using our space (upstairs) and utilizing it to it’s potential. It will also require some fundraising campaigns.
- Pastor John and others are leaving a week from today to Germany: 15 going (5 from other local congregations, 3 from Jackson and 7 from our congregation)
- Pastor John: Augsburg publishing had a reformation bookstore will be available to our church. It will be open on a few Sunday mornings. We can order. Sample books FLC gets to keep for our library.
- Pastor John: Mens Morning Fellowship & Study Group morning going well.
- Pastor John: other opportunities the pastors have to share are Pastor’s House Call on KATE radio, weekly article in the Albert Lea Tribune, Freeborn County Disaster Recovery Team, Freeborn County Fair Service on the Sunday of the Freeborn County Fair. Free entry to the Fair until 10am, Music team includes many churches. Pastor Forde will share the Sermon.
- Pastor John: Walter Nnko – Pastor John and Joan may travel to see his graduation, possibly visit a bishop and a sponsored child. Tanzania speaks Swahili and English.
- Thank you note received from AZ-one. Pastor John read aloud to the council and passed around.
- Business, Planning & Action Items
- Stained Glass Window Fund Allocations- Kara Heinemann (shared above)
- Special Giving Opportunities- Pastor Holt passed around an information sheet. Much discussion. We will go with this sheet. Can update as needed. Pastor John will complete a Special Giving Opportunities sheet.
- Scholarship Guidelines-Kara Heinemann and Pastor Holt: Kara will edit the bold and fix the typos. Discussion. Motion to approve Scholarship Guidelines as presented. Dean Jensen / Karen Szymanowski.
- Choral Scholars Funding Source and Program Proposal- Kara Heinemann and Pastor Holt. Requesting to be in the 2018 budget. Discussion on where/how to move forward. Pastor John recommends a scholarship of $750/participant moving forward. Raise funds for the program as it stands now.
- LEAD/Constitution Review Team—Steve Schulz. Discussion on direction. Possible temporary suspension of the bylaws. Previously we did vote not to change the constitution. Jo Hanson suggested not using the name “Constitution”. Set up Ministry teams to work on these changes. More Discussion. Steve suggests a Team gather before the Council Retreat. Kara and Steve will get together to discuss.
- Centennial Celebration plan? Discussion of plans/ideas: Church Family Family Cookbook, Bishop Delzer to preach, Confirmation class reunions, Numerous celebrations not just one, T-shirts, Ornaments of the Stained Glass, Picture Frames, magnets, window clings, Pottery, Little Free Library, Giftstore/Bookstore. Budget needs to be worked on for 2018 and 2019.
- Advance planning for next meeting. Monday August 21, 2017. Devotions: Belinda Krysan
- Items: 1) Seminary Student Fund policy and procedures 2) Ministry Team Update
3) Centennial Celebration 4)
- Reports from any commission, committee, or officers
- Youth – Jens shared photos from the Garden project, some of the produce almost ready to harvest, Salvation Army, weeding, watering, BW trip went well, sharing on July 30, Valleyfair on the 31st
- Property – Dean said no meeting in July & August unless needed
- Social – Bonnie said no meeting in July & August
- FLCW – Jo shared about the cookbook, Sunday July 30 3:30pm Charles Johnson concert, letters gone out/flyers, evening meeting in August re: Addiction
- Endowment – Steve/Kara said meeting Wednesday
- Life & Growth – Joyce said no meeting July, New member orientation July 23
- Worship, Music & Arts – Karen said no meeting July
- Stewardship – Mollee said no meeting
- President – none
- Vice-President – none
- Heard any good jokes lately? Pastor Sean shared: A pastor was a guest at a dinner. After the pastor left, the wife said, “I think he stole our silver spoon”. This bothered the wife for quite awhile. A year later the pastor was invited over for supper again. The wife couldn’t keep quiet and finally asked the pastor, “did you steal my silver spoon the last time you were here?” “No”, says the pastor. “I put it in your Bible.”
- Closing—Prayer requests, Prayers & The Lord’s Prayer, closing Litany led by Pastor John.
- Adjournment at 8:45pm.
Kristin Larson, FLC Council Secretary
|2017—Planning Schedule for Special Outreach Causes for special offerings—2017|
|January||—||LWR-Disaster Relief||July||—||Compassion International|
|February||—||Helping Families Fund||August||—||Snack Cart Scholarships|
|March||—||Noisy Offering–Sal. Army Food Shelf||September||—||Transportation for LWR|
|April||—||SEMCAC-Homeless Shelter||October||—||Haiti Mission Trip|
|May||—||ShineFest||November||—||Noisy Offering–Sal. Army Food Shelf & Kids Backpacks|
|June||—||Hospice –Albert Lea||December||—||Soles for Jesus|